Introducing TUV Rheinland
On October 31st, 1872 several entrepreneurs founded the “Verein zur Ueberwachung der Dampfkessel in den Kreisen Elberfeld und Barmen” which translated means the Association for the Surveillance of Steam Boiler Operators in the areas of Elberfeld and Barmen.” This new organization was lead by Gustav Schlieper and developed successfully during its infancy.
Over the next decades the organization became the Rheinischen DUEV. As the “D” stood for “Dampf” or translated to English “Steam”, the name was not really suited for the 20th century. Therefore, it was changed to “T” which was associated with technical. Therefore the organization was called “TUEV Koeln”.
How fast the developments of the Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC) industry developed after World War II were seen by the future developments of the TUEV Koeln. In the beginning of the 1960s the organization had about 600 employees. Today, the company has grown to around 20,000 people with a turnover of 1.88 billion Euro. Now more people work for the organization outside of Germany than inside. Not only has the number of employees changed, but so has the name. Since 1962 the organization has been called TUEV Rheinland.
TUV Rheinland in 2015: