The Greatest Hotels in the World – THE PENINSULA HONG KONG
The Peninsula – one of the world’s legendary Grand Hotels.
On 11 December 1928, a legend of Asian hospitality was born – The Peninsula Hong Kong opened her doors for the first time, and has been welcoming guests and patrons from all over the world ever since.
Every great lady has a history, and The Peninsula is no exception. Hers is a remarkable story of vision and evolution with the architects who in the early 1920s drew up plans for “the finest hotel east of Suez”, doing so at the behest of men whose foresight and confidence in Hong Kong set them on what was considered an audacious path at the time.
Announcement for the THE PENINSULA HONG KONG as Six Star Hotel. For more information please visit:
Like many grand hotels, The Peninsula is a family business and it all started with two brothers of Jewish-Iraqi descent. Ellis Kadoorie settled in Shanghai in 1880, while his elder brother Elly set himself up in business in Hong Kong. Over the next two decades, the Kadoorie brothers made their fortunes, achieving success in banking, rubber plantations, electric power utilities and real estate, and gaining a major share-holding in Hong Kong Hotels Limited.
By the time Sir Ellis was knighted in 1917 (he was also a generous patron of charities, another family tradition), Hong Kong Hotels Ltd’s prestigious properties included the Peak and the Repulse Bay Hotels in Hong Kong; the Astor House, the Palace Hotel and the Majestic in Shanghai; and the Grand Hotel Wagons Lits in Beijing.
Architects were first commissioned to draw up plans for “the finest hotel east of the Suez” back in the early 1920s, and The Peninsula, the jewel in the family crown, was completed in 1928. Twelve years later the baton passed to the next generation when Lawrence (later Lord) Kadoorie, son of Sir Elly, became chairman of the board, to be replaced in 1946 by his brother Horace. With the loss of the Shanghai properties to the government of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, The Peninsula became the unchallenged flagship of the company.
The 30-storey extension that opened in December 1994 has since combined the hotel’s heritage with the very best in modern facilities for the business and leisure traveller.
The tower rises from within the site of the original hotel in an area that was previously the rear podium. The extension added 132 rooms and suites for a total of 300 and includes: 10 floors of prime office space, shops and a range of hotel facilities, among them a swimming pool and Sun Terrace; state-of-the-art Fitness Centre; The Peninsula Spa; business centre; banquet and meeting rooms; and Felix, a rooftop restaurant with panoramic views of the city created by renowned French architect and designer Philippe Starck.
On the roof of the tower, twin helipads offer hotel guests quick and easy access by helicopter to the airport and destinations around the territory. This facility is served by a separate elevator and features The China Clipper, a private lounge with reception and communications centre.